Friday, February 3, 2012

chocolate agave syrup

I have a number of coffee-loving friends, some of whom do not use refined sugar. Last Christmas I came across this recipe for coffee syrups, but realized I would have to tweak it for my friends. Because agave can be used as a straight substitute for simple syrup, it was a pretty easy swap. The only problem was that in my first experiments, the agave flavor was stronger than anything I was adding. I finally gave up and decided that they would all have to have chocolate in their coffee. As it turns out, this syrup also makes a fair cup of hot chocolate and tastes pretty good over ice cream. It didn't occur to me until I was finished, but this is just chocolate syrup! It's not particular to coffee.


I bought bottles from here for $5/case. Even with shipping, I seem to remember that it came in well under $2/bottle. The ingredients for the syrup itself (shown for a single 8 oz bottle) are:

  • 1 Tbs. cocoa powder (the very same from yesterday's popcorn)
  • 1 cup agave
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch salt
Pour the cocoa powder in a small saucepan and add about 1/4 cup very hot water, stirring to dissolve completely.
Add the agave, and just bring to a very gentle boil, stirring to blend. The mixture will be light at first, then marbled, and finally it will mix into a beautiful dark chocolate color.
Remove from heat, add vanilla and salt and let cool completely before bottling.
You can multiply the quantities to make a batch for gifts. Although these were Christmas gifts, I think the red ribbon and the heart on the label also make them perfect for Valentine's Day. The only change I would make would be to write the label without the word 'coffee,' and with a list of ways the syrup can be used.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, thoughtful gift! We too don't use sugar in our coffee, but enjoy copious amounts of raw honey to sweeten it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually drink my coffee black. But I have friends who get flavored lattes, so originally was aiming for vanilla syrup...oh, well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you know that I finished the last drops of my syrup this morning?! AND that's just because I had to stop using it, in less than two weeks after getting it because I blew through it so fast! I was trying to figure out whether it was rude or a compliment to ask for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's embarrassingly simple! But I have kept a container of it going, too--though for ice cream, not coffee!

      Delete

Responses from cool people—please be sure to visit their blogs as well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...